Tea Tree Essential Oil is also known as melaleuca alternifolia. The Tea Tree plant is native to Australia and when you purchase Tea Tree oil, you want to make sure that it comes from that area. The Australian people have been familiar with the healing properties of Tea Tree for hundreds of years. When you are purchasing Tea Tree Oil and products with tea tree, you want to make sure the ingredients list the scientific name, melaleuca alternifolia. Unfortunately, Tea Tree Oil is one of the most lab-reproduced essential oils on the planet. Because of it’s chemical makeup, Tea Tree oil can be re-created in a lab and so that method is being used to produce at least half of the worlds supply. When you purchase lab-created Tea Tree oil, the health benefits are not present and there can even be some ill side-effects from use. Make sure the essential oil you purchase is from a good, quality source. Be very cautious about purchasing essential oils from big box stores and from online sellers like Amazon and Ebay.
According to studies done by the Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation of Australia, Tea Tree Essential Oil has the following benefits:
- Antibacterial – They actually did a test on hospital patients with the Staph Bacteria and saw significant improvement in several patients that was equal to the standard protocol they would use.
- Antiviral – It has been tested and shown to clear up cold sores.
- Anti-fungal – It has been tested and shown to reduce Yeast in the body
- Anti-Inflammatory – It has been tested and shown to improve skin irritations such as eczema.
- Acne Treatment – It has been tested and shown to be very effective in treating acne.
Tea Tree is also excellent for oral health. You can make your own mouthwash that will kill bacteria and keep your mouth fresh and clean. It is also great for skin support and to combat acne. When using it for acne, you can dilute 1 drop to 1 tsp of a carrier oil like Jojoba or Rosehip and apply as a treatment or you can mix with all-natural witch Hazel for use as a toner. You can also use it for dry scalp by adding one or two drops to your shampoo.
MOUTHWASH RECIPE: Take one 4 or 6oz mason jar and fill it with filtered water. Take 2 tsp of baking soda and add 8 drops of Tea Tree essential oil and mix the two together in a glass or metal container then add it to the water, mix again. The baking soda will aid in keeping the essential oil dispersed in the water. You can also add 2 drops of peppermint oil for taste. Use this as a mouthwash.